I returned from FMLA leave and my "supervisor"complained about taking FMLA leave.

Asked about 1 year ago - Sacramento, CA

My supervisor complained that she had to manage the office by herself. FMLA leave was a reason to leave her because I didn't want to work with her anymore. She said I will not make it if I get another job. She used foul language when describing all these false accusations. My question, what should I do?

1. Michael R Crosner

Answered . DO NOT do anything until you consult a local employment law attorney. Some will offer a free initial consultation. You can locate a local attorney right here on AVVO under the tab "Find A Lawyer"

2. Christine C McCall

Pro

Answered . Tough it out. These facts do not add up to a sound claim against your employer. You haven't been fired. Put your head down, do a good job and let this issue fade into the past.

3. Neil Pedersen

Answered . It is unlawful for an employer to retaliate against you because you took protected FMLA leave. Technically, the conduct you describe is a form of such retaliation. However, on a practical level, it is not enough to become embroiled in litigation over.

If the words and conduct are upsetting to you and you cannot simply work through them, I would suggest you make a report to the company HR department. Depending on the company, such a report would likely result in HR telling your supervisor to cool it. However, keep in mind that such a reporting might also result in retaliation. That retaliation would also be unlawful, but retaliation can be dressed up to look like legitimate discipline and communications. Covert retaliation is always a concern, especially with a supervisor who has already demonstrated a retaliatory nature. You need to make the call on that.

Good luck to you.

4. Scott P. Batey

Pro

1

Answered . FMLA does not allow for damages for a hostile work enviroment, si while you may be experiencing retaliation you would have no damages, unless you could claim you were constructively discharged due to the retaliation. That however, would be a very difficult claim. You should consult with an experienced employment lawyer before you do anything.