I require a lawyer who is able to address a case where jurisdiction must be changed from ny to va for a child support case.

Asked about 2 years ago - Chesterfield, VA

This is in reference to my daughter's child support the was decided upon 6 or 7 years ago.

1. Michael Christopher Miller

2

1

Answered . If NY issued the order, then NY has continuing, exclusive jurisdiction to modify the order. The jurisdiction ends when all parties and child have moved out of NY.

Jurisdiction then arises where the responding party to a petition to modify resides. If short, the party seeking to modify child support has to play "the away game."

If you live in Va. and the other parent lives in State A, and you are seeking to modify support after everyone left NY, you must go to State A.

If you live in Va. and the other parent lives in State A, and the other parent is seeking to modify support after everyone left NY, the other parent must come to Va.