I reported fraud, abuse, and mismanagement in HUD subsidized apartment complex for elderly senior citizens (age 62 and over).

Asked over 1 year ago - 28560

Now I am being retaliated against by the manager who is harassing me every way she can by writing me up and sending threatening letters threatening to evict me and lying about my lease infractions that she has and still is inventing and are not true. What can I do to protect myself? I need a place to live, but I am finding it impossible to live here under the circumstances.

1. Vance Tate Davis

Answered . There are statutes protecting tenants from retaliatory eviction. Although more information would be needed to determine if those statutes apply in the situation you are describing, I think you should contact a Legal Aid attorney promptly to protect your rights. It is not entirely clear if you are located in North Carolina; however, if you are...you should contact Legal Aid of North Carolina (LANC) to seek help with this issue. Since you are apparently a senior, you should qualify for free assistance and Legal Aid attorneys tend to have expertise in subsidized housing law. If Legal Aid cannot help you, you might want to call the North Carolina Bar Association's free Lawyer Referral Service for referral to a private attorney in your area who handles subsidized housing matters.

In any event, I would recommend that you immediately begin documenting all threats or retaliatory actions taken by this manager (e.g. keep any notes, letters, signs, etc. and document any and all conversations whether by telephone or in person). I would also avoid having any interaction with this manager unless you have a reliable witness present at least until you have a chance to consult with an attorney.