I rented an apartment in november and signed a year lease, i just had a baby on 12-12-12 i live in illinois where it gets really

Rockford, IL |

i rented an apartment in november and signed a year lease, i just had a baby on 12-12-12 i live in illinois where it gets really cold and in the beginning of january a lady ran her car through my sunporch and it left a really big hole in my apartment, the landlaord didnt do anything to cover the space it was just left wide open , she recently sent someone to put a piece of plastice over it in march butduring the winter it got really cold, they said they couldnt fix it until it got over 60 degrees because the bricks wont stick in cold weather but its been very warm lately and they still havent done anything, i told her i was concerned about intruders but i still get nothing, what can i do? i feel like i shouldnt pay rent for an apartment with a hole in it

You do have a place to live, but I agree that you should at least receive a discount for your inconvenience. You should ask for a concession from your landlord and if you receive none, you could sue the landlord for the amount you feel would be justified under the circumstances. You will need evidence.

Cheryl Rivera Smith

Cheryl Rivera Smith

Here is the law for Illinois. http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=2605&ChapterID=62

You should give the landlord notice and move. It sounds like the apartment is no longer habitable as it has a large gaping hole in it and is allowing the elements in.

Cheryl Rivera Smith

Cheryl Rivera Smith

Be sure you give the proper WRITTEN notices to your landlord or you might be held liable. There may be an tenant's rights advocate in your area.