I rented an apartment in a two-family house with two residential units in it. There is only one shared mail box. Is that legal?

Covington, KY |

I rented an apartment in a two-family house with two residential units in it. The landlord occupies the upstairs unit and I occupy the bottom unit. There is only one shared mail box. My landlord has been removing the mail and leaving mine on a little table in the shared hallway. I have asked for a separate mailbox, but received no response. Is it legal for the landlord to rent a separate residence to me without providing me with a separate mailing address or a separate mailbox. I am especially worried that he is stealing or disposing of my mail because I am now in a dispute with him regarding many other problems with the apartment.

1. An illegal occupancy could result in your eviction, and it sounds like this may such a situation. As if the unit was truly a duplex and separate rental, then you should have your own mailbox! You may wish to seek a separate mailing address at a PO Box, if you still want to stay in the residence. Or address the issue head on with the Landlord, or housing authorities, but again that may result in an eviction, or possible termination of lease/residency as well! I truly wish you the best of luck! As an aside, if you found my direction helpful, and if you feel appropriate; could you be so kind as to designate my answer as the “best” answer to your question?