I rented a truck, and let someone I hardly know borrow it. Stupid, I know. Had a hard time getting truck back, but finally did

West Covina, CA |
Filed under: Lawsuits and disputes

w/ a lot of damage. He wasn't on contract. I used a debit card, have no credit cards, don't own a car/home, am poor dumb college student. If my insurance denies claim no way can I come up w/ 30k. I am unemployed w/ 300.00 in bank. Now, the person is no where to be found, and all cell phones are disconnected. They were Verizon numbers according to recording. I fell for a sob story, and now am wondering what are my options if my insurance denies claim. Thanks in advance.

I got the truck back on Wed. and called the insurance company right after turning in the truck. Only my name was on contract. I feel like such an idiot for falling for this kid w/ cancer scam. They gave me money to help pay the rental, but they dropped off truck at gas station, after I told them I was going to report it stolen and turn on the lojack. After that no numbers work, and they are nowhere to be found. I was really made fool of for seeing this bald kid who supposedly needed money and using the truck to make money to pay meds.

Your facts don't suggest why the carrier would deny. Have you given the carrier timely notice? If they deny, bankruptcy is an option.

Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Please speak with a local and qualified attorney. I truly wish you and those close to you all the best. Jeff www.nyelderinjurylaw.com

2. Can't see why they would deny the claim. It sounds based on what you wrote that they should pay.

3. I agree with Mr. Adams. If you gave the other person permission to drive the vehicle, it may be covered. Don't worry just yet. Wait to see what the insurance carrier has to say.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. The above answer is for general information only and is based on the information you posted. Every case is fact dependent, so to get a thorough analysis of your situation, you will need to consult face to face with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where the incident took place. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case. No attorney-client relationship shall be created through the use reading of this response on Avvo. You should never delay seeking legal advice, disregard legal advice, or commence or discontinue any legal action because of information in this response.

4. I agree with the responses you have received thus far. First talk to you carrier and see what they say. Best of luck to you.

5. Report the accident to your insurance company, and they will likely cover it, but if not, a local insurance attorney can be retained.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com