I rented a house for a couple of month's to find out my landlord plummed the gas line wrong and my gas was shut off for safety.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Fort Smith, AR

I had to move because he would not fix it and I would not pay rent because I require hot water and the ability to cook for my child. He also came in the house to do repairs when my child was home alone and the sheriff said he was not allowed to do that either. He did not give my deposit back and I think we can sue him for breach of contract. I do have the letter from the gas company showing it was shut off due to safety along with pictures and it could have blown the house up, he used tubing instead of steel pipes had it running into the ground like this and into the attic next to the heater. I know I can take him to small claims court but I want more than $5000.00 . If I take it to small claims court and loose can I appeal their decision?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. J Jason Boyeskie

    Contributor Level 9

    Answered . Your damages are going to be limited to either money you've spent or lost, you're not going to be able to sue your landlord for a large amount of money unless you actually suffered damages.

    I would recommend hiring an attorney to recover your security deposit, either by suing or by sending a demand letter.

    Legal disclaimer: DISCLAIMER: This response is for informational purposes only and does not form an attorney-... more

Related Topics

Property rental agreement

A rental agreement is a contract outlining terms of tenancy for a certain period of time. Short-term rental agreements may renew automatically until cancelled.

Landlord-tenant law

Landlord-tenant law is governed mostly by state laws, and covers issues like security deposit limits and deadlines, evictions, and the right to withhold rent.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

33,823 answers this week

3,649 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

33,823 answers this week

3,649 attorneys answering