I refused an ambulance that I never called. Now there is a GIANT bill. I need some legal advice or assistance.

Oakland, CA |

I fainted; hit my head. I was with my partner. We did NOT call for an ambulance. I believe it was SFPD (oddly SFPD officers were nearby for something else). I was sound and sober throughout, as was my partner. I am an uninsured freelancer waiting for ACA coverage. Told this to the paramedics MULTIPLE times. They (King American) coaxed me into their vehicle against my will; took BP, blood sugar. Then insisted on transporting me to a private hospital, whose bill I have yet to receive. I said NO multiple times, pointing to my reliable partner, who agreed to take me to an ER. I explained that my partner would take me; I could not pay an ambulance bill. The medics (liars) insisted they take me as a homeless Jane Doe and promised NO bill. Now: $2200+ bill for 2-mile ride that I tried refusing.

1. In all probability, you have the option of applying for cancellation of the bill or a reduction if you do not have the financial resources to pay it. Information should be contained on the statement you received. If services were rendered to you, you may be responsible for the charges. Deal with the bill as I have mentioned. The fact you did not call for the ambulance is immaterial. Good luck.

SINCE 1974. My answers are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers assume California law. I am licensed in California, only. Answers must not be relied upon.<br> <br> Legal advice and counsel must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. <br> <br> I provide legal advice and counsel during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us.<br> <br> The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential. I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo because I have answered or commented on a question. Specifically, I assume no duty to respond to any question, comment, telephone call, or email because of my participation.<br> <br> All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice or counsel in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult an attorney licensed in the appropriate jurisdiction for advice and counsel. See, also, Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference.<br>

2. Have a local lawyer negotiate down the bill

3. Hopefully you can negotiate a reduction.

4. I would refuse to pay it. Send the company a letter explaining your refusal of service, that your reliable partner was present, available to drive you, and a witness to what transpired. If they sue (most unlikely) be sure to bring your partner as a witness.

5. Medical bills can usually be negotiated. That said... should one pass out and fall and hit his or her noggin, a properly trained medical professional will recognize this as potentially life threatening - one, because people should not just pass out and two because head trauma is a serious injury. The person who faints, falls, and hits head should be evaluated by an emergency physician for, among other things, confused thoughts and mental status changes. The liability for transporting someone to the hospital when not really needed is substantially less than not transporting when the condition warranted it. I'd take the case of someone refused ER transport for an obvious and serious injury but pass for someone transported in the name of extreme caution.

- Paul

Paul J. Molinaro, M.D., J.D.
    Attorney at Law, Physician

Paul J. Molinaro, M.D., J.D. Attorney at Law, Physician Fransen & Molinaro, LLP 4160 Temescal Canyon Road, Suite 306 Corona, CA 92833 (951)520-9684 www.fransenandmolinaro.com / www.888MDJDLAW.com "When you need a lawyer, call the Doctor... Call Paul J. Molinaro, M.D., J.D... Call (888)MDJDLAW." * This post and all others I make on Internet are for informational purposes only. None of the information or materials I post are legal advice. Nothing I post as comments, answers, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. While I try to be accurate, I do not guarantee accuracy. ** Fransen & Molinaro, LLP practices in the areas of defective drug and medical device litigation (Actos, Accutane, Actonel, Antidepressants, Avandia, Bextra, Byetta, DePuy Hip Implant, Digitek, Ephedra, Fosamax, Gadolinium, GranuFlo, Guidant Implantable Defibrillators, Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT), Ketek, Kugel Mesh Patch, Lipitor, Mesothelioma, Nuvaring, Ortho Evra, Paxil, Pradaxa, Prempro, Prisma Dialysis Recall, Reglan, ReNu with MoistureLoc, Smith and Nephew Hip Replacement, Stryker Hip Replacement, Tequin, Topamax, Transvaginal Mesh, Trasylol, Vioxx, Yaz, Zelnorm, Zimmer Durom, Zyprexa, and More), medical malpractice, personal injury, and real estate law and does so anywhere in the State of California. *** If you enjoy my posts, enjoyed a consultation with me, or are a happy satisfied client, please give me an Avvo recommendation/review.

6. The SFPD did what they are supposed to do by calling the ambulance. Regardless of whether King American should or should not have transported you, be aware that they are a very aggressive company and will take you to small claims court if you are unable to work something out with them.