I recorded a song at a studio, what prevents the studio from saying they wrote my song? Will a phone recording hold up?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Denver, CO

I wrote the songs but the only time stamped evidence is my iphone voice memo recordings.

The dates on the phone recordings are permanent but I am not going to have my phone forever. When I added the voice memos from my phone to my computer, the computer shows the "date added" NOT created. The date on the computer could be also easily be manipulated to look like anything...point is unless I hold onto my phone forever I can't prove the date I created the song.

Since I recorded the song in the studio, could the studio say they wrote my songs because they have a recording of me playing?

I plan on copyrighting the finished song but the studio will have digital records of the song prior to me registering my copyright. all I will have is a iphone recording...would this hold up as proof?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Bruce E. Colfin


    Contributor Level 3


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If you have any fear of someone at a studio claiming that they wrote your song, then you should register the copyright in your musical composition sooner than later. Why wait until you have a finished sound recording? For a $35.00 dollar fee to the Copyright Office you can register the copyright in the words and music of your composition by uploading a copy of the telephone recording. The registration (and proof of ownership) would be effective as of the day the copyright office receives the payment, electronic application, and uploaded copy. That could be as soon as it takes for you to actually do that after reading this answer.

  2. Bruce E. Burdick


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Hire an attorney. This is you umpteenth question here. You are done with the free, now hire a lawyer and start paying for your advice. Avvo is not a recipe for avoiding lawyers, it is a means to find one. You are very foolish to think otherwise.

    I am not your lawyer and you are not my client. Free advice here is without recourse and any reliance thereupon is... more
One or more answers have been taken down.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,013 answers this week

3,379 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,013 answers this week

3,379 attorneys answering