I recieved a Subpoena to go to court but i am a married legal adult theygave it to my mom and it is also not under my legalname.

The name is a nick name not used for legal papers or anything aswhile as a different last name. I live in california if that helps any. I do not want to be called as a witness because i was abuse psyically by the criminal. This a case for another person not me they got me involved i told them i didnt want to be involved.

Santa Barbara, CA -

Attorney Answers (2)

Cathleen Elisabeth Norton

Cathleen Elisabeth Norton

Family Law Attorney - Beverly Hills, CA

If you know that the person the subpoena is referring to is you, then you must appear in court or the judge could issue a bench warrant for your arrest. There may be problems with service, but I'd recommend that you ask for a victim's advocate, and appear. That is the only way this "criminal" will be held accountable for the charges/allegations brought against him. There is help out there--and you are allowed to bring a friend with you for emotional support.

If you found this answer helpful, let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button or "Best Answer" at the... more
Martha Bronson

Martha Bronson

Family Law Attorney - Tracy, CA

I agree with counsel above. I would add that there is such thing as substitute service and the service may ( or may not) be valid. Whether it is or not, if you do not appear, there could be a bench warrant issued for your failure to obey the subpoena. Accordingly I would recommend that you appear and seek the assistance as counsel above has recommended. Good luck.

If you find this helpful, please check the helpful on the side. Thank you and good luck.

Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, as each situation is... more

Related Advice

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.