I recieved a letter from a creditor yesterday collecting from 7 years ago. Can they still come after me for this?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Seattle, WA

Account opened in 2005, made payments in 2008, hasn't been on any credit report ever.

1. Tim L Eblen

1

Answered . Making a voluntary payment does renew the applicable statute of limitations for debt in Washington.

We would need to know the nature of this debt to determine the right statute of limitations. Most consumer debts are based on contract, and have a 6 year statute of limitations.

Best of luck,
    Tim

2. Lucius James Wallace

Pro

2

Answered . You need a consumer lawyer in WA which you can find at www.naca.net. They will be able to advise you of the applicable statute of limiations which may or may not have renewed with your payments in 2008.