I recieved a dwi a couple days ago i have a cdl i also recieved a dwi 17-18 years ago. can i keep my cdl?

Asked over 1 year ago - Hagerstown, MD

i blew .12 I AHVE HEARD MANY DIFFERNT THINGS . i have already spoken with a couple lawyers and ad sent my hearing paper in.. can i keep my cdl?

1. Patrick Erney Maher

Pro

7

Answered . You will have to run the gauntlet in order to keep your CDL. You are facing an adminisrative hearing where the MVA will propose a suspension of your drivers license for the alleged .12 breath test result. Assuming you are a Maryland licensed driver, ordinarily, you would be eligible for a restricted license to drive during work. However, if you have a CDL, you may not keep the CDL while your license is restricted as it is considered suspended. In addition, at the criminal trial, even a probation before judgement to the DUI per se charge will result in a 1 year disqualification of your CDL. Therefore you have to win the DUI or have it reduced. You need an experienced attorney who understands all of these issues. If you would like to discuss further, you may contact my office at 410-847-9000 or respond to this e-mail

2. Richard F Kodzis

Pro

5

1

Answered . Maybe. The final answer depends on many factors - and do not discuss them on this forum as it is neither secure nor restricted from prosecutors. Whether you retain the CDL is very fact specific as to the breath test, the level, were you driving a commercial or private vehicle, etc. Obviously a not guilty is best, other outcomes MAY be ok, but beware. Many attorneys who do not routinely represent and fight DUIs may not be competent in this situation. In the past I have had to unravel the problems created by well meaning attorneys who think that representing CDL is no different than any other DUI; it is. Good luck.

3. William Lawrence Welch III

3

Answered . Whether you keep your CDL depends on the outcomes of your criminal case and your administrative hearing MVA.