I recently won a California Lottery prize of six figures. I am on Social Security and Medicare. Will winning this Lottery

Asked almost 2 years ago - Redlands, CA

prize affect my Social security benefits and what do I need to know about filing a tax return on these winnings?

1. Michael Raymond Daymude

Pro

4

Answered . You will need to report the winnings as income. It is likely some of the money has or will be withheld from the winnings for the anticipated taxes. Whether this will affect your social security and medicare benefits depends on your exact situation. You should personally consult with an elder law attorney for advice specific to your situation.

2. Paula Brown Sinclair

5

Answered . Social Security and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) are two different things. Many confuse the two due to the name similarity and because both programs are managed by the Social Security Administration. Social Security and Medicare are insurance programs (unlike SSI and Medicaid which are means-tested welfare programs). You can be a millionaire and receive the full Social Security and Medicare benefits for which your premiums have paid.

For tax reporting advice, you should consult with a tax accountant or IRS enrolled agent.

Best wishes for a favorable outcome, and please remember to designate a best answer.

This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.
  3. Robert C. Alston

2

Best Answer

Answered . Whether it affects your social security depends what type of social security you are receiving. If you are getting SSI then yes. Otherwise no.