I recently was denied my Florida concealed carry permit and dont know what to do. 25 years ago I was charged in New Jersey with

Apopka, FL |
Filed under: Criminal defense

25 years ago I was charged in NJ w/ possesion of Cocaine, I missed the court date. I was the picked up in NC for failure to appear in NJ and was extradited back. Went to court and recieved a fine. The Fl Dept of Agriculture said teh wanted a certified notice from NC saying the charge has been addressed and my gun rights restored. The problem is there is no charge in NC and they cant and wont give me anything. I sent all the original paper worked to FL Dept agric. original charges in N, the magistrates order in North Carolina and then the out come of court hearing in New Jersey. and all the emails from North Carolina explaining they dont have anything. the Legal Dept of FL Dept of Agriculture is still denying, but I am not sure why. they have not told me what else they want me to supply. pl

There is no actual charge in North Carolina which is what FL dept of Agr wants me to address. The run around has been crazy, I immediately responded to there request with all the papers work I had, gave them my Phone #s, emails and the #'s for contacting North Carolina...no response. I called and spoke to legal dept, and they first told me some on accidently put some one elses FBI paper work in my folder, they corrected that, but still never sent me a letter about anything. I called again and they said lawyers reviewed again and agree with denial...but they never explained why legal is denying to begin with... I asked if teh lawyer could call me, because they wont let me speak to them. They said they would ask but they are busy so probably not, and that I would probably have to ask for a informal hearing.... but I dont know for what....

If the charges all arose out of NJ, it makes sense that NC would not have anything. An arrest and extradition is not important, what matters is the outcome of the NJ cases. I would suggest giving Jon Gutmacher a call. He is an attorney in/around Orlando and is regarded as an authority on all things firearms related. I would start there if I were you, because dealing with all the bureaucratic red tape can be a huge pain.

Thank you for the suggestion. yeah wow. just contacted him, sounds like he knows alot. but he wants 1500.00 to start, plus expenses.. or 500 just to look at my papers.. thats tough to sallow

Dale Christopher Carson

Dale Christopher Carson

You are welcome. It is a pretty penny but having someone that knows the ropes makes the process much, much easier.

No 1500 plus expesnses is nuts. this is a couple hundred dollar paperwork problem, not a jail time offense. cant see it. I will give it ago alone first or maybe contact someone atthe NRA see what type of support they have.

Dale Christopher Carson

Dale Christopher Carson

Fair enough. I don't imagine that the seriousness of the prior charge has anything to do with the amount of the fee. As with any private attorney, time is money and you would be paying for his time. FWIW I would not be surprised if the NRA referred you back to Mr. Gutmacher since you are near him.

Thanks. I have since received a letter from North Carolina, that was also sent to FL Dept fo Agriculture explaining they never took my Civil or Gun rights away. But FL Dept of Ag. is not responding I am guessing the have decided I need to request a formal or informal hearing period. Is it a waste of time if I request a formal hearing that would be heard by one of FL Dept of Ags own hearing officers. and if I request either type of hearing will I have to travel to Tallahassee. also if I request a formal hearing do I have to have an attorney represent me.

One more question, if I try to go the informal hearing route, and they still deny the application, will I be able to appeal the decission.

contact Jon Gutmacher in Orlando. He is the guru of concealed weapons, gun laws etc.

Please be advised that answering your questions does not establish an attorney-client relationship with myself or my firm. We would be more than happy to set up a free consultation if you call us at 407-228-3838 and specifically mention AVVO or email me at bill@thelawman.net and put AVVO in the subject line.

Eric Joseph Dirga

Eric Joseph Dirga

Yes - here is his website contact info - http://www.floridafirearmslaw.com/Contact-Jon-H-Gutmacher-Esq.html

The cost is just to much, he wanted 1500 to start not including expense. can anyone answer this for me. Thanks. I have since received a letter from North Carolina, that was also sent to FL Dept fo Agriculture explaining they never took my Civil or Gun rights away. But FL Dept of Ag. is not responding I am guessing the have decided I need to request a formal or informal hearing period. Is it a waste of time if I request a formal hearing that would be heard by one of FL Dept of Ags own hearing officers. and if I request either type of hearing will I have to travel to Tallahassee. also if I request a formal hearing do I have to have an attorney represent me.

There is always resistance to these applicaions if one has any sort of record. They will try to wear you down and hope you will give up. Its the government!