Skip to main content

I recently was declared permanently disabled. I am being sued for an unsecured debt of $36,000. Should I negotiate & how much?

Ford City, PA |

There are no attorneys near me that handle debt negotiation and due to my disability it is difficult to find one in a community within 30 miles of me. Thank you

Attorney Answers 4

  1. How much you could settle this debt for really requires a full analysis of your current financial situation & how you might come out if you filed for bankruptcy instead. I would start at 10% in a lump sum and see what the creditor says. Hope this perspective helps!

  2. I am sorry to hear about your situation. As far as what you should do, a lot of information is still needed. Is the debt valid? What kind of evidence do they have that you owe the debt? How old is the debt? When was the last time you paid?

    If the debt collector doesn't have evidence of an underlying contract or proof of assignment, you should consider fighting it. Additionally, if you haven't made a payment on the debt or acknowledged that you owed the debt within the last four years, the Plaintiff's case may be barred by the statute of limitations.

  3. It is difficult to give an answer without some more details. Negotiating strategies differ greatly depending on whether the alleged debt is that of an original creditor or a third party "debt buyer." You should consider talking to a consumer lawyer who may be able to help you fight or negotiate the debt.

    Contact me at 610-353-0322. Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and New Jersey.

  4. As the attorney's mentioned, more details are needed. However, with that being said, it is imperative that you not ignore the lawsuit. Have you checked to see if there is an attorney located near you. Some attorney's may help you without you needing to come see them. I know in my practice that I have client's scan or fax their paperwork to me so I can review it and assist them. Of course it is always best to have an in person meeting, however, there are many situations that make a personal meeting near impossible.
    I strongly suggest you go to to find a consumer protection attorney in your area.
    Best of luck to you

Sued for debt topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics