I recently was declared permanently disabled. I am being sued for an unsecured debt of $36,000. Should I negotiate & how much?

Asked over 1 year ago - Ford City, PA

There are no attorneys near me that handle debt negotiation and due to my disability it is difficult to find one in a community within 30 miles of me. Thank you

1. Allan Julius Ray

3

Answered . I am sorry to hear about your situation. As far as what you should do, a lot of information is still needed. Is the debt valid? What kind of evidence do they have that you owe the debt? How old is the debt? When was the last time you paid?

If the debt collector doesn't have evidence of an underlying contract or proof of assignment, you should consider fighting it. Additionally, if you haven't made a payment on the debt or acknowledged that you owed the debt within the last four years, the Plaintiff's case may be barred by the statute of limitations.

2. Daniel Anthony DeLiberty

Pro

3

Answered . It is difficult to give an answer without some more details. Negotiating strategies differ greatly depending on whether the alleged debt is that of an original creditor or a third party "debt buyer." You should consider talking to a consumer lawyer who may be able to help you fight or negotiate the debt.

3. Dorothy G Bunce

Pro

2

Answered . How much you could settle this debt for really requires a full analysis of your current financial situation & how you might come out if you filed for bankruptcy instead. I would start at 10% in a lump sum and see what the creditor says. Hope this perspective helps!

4. Jennifer M Spiegel Colson

2

Answered . As the attorney's mentioned, more details are needed. However, with that being said, it is imperative that you not ignore the lawsuit. Have you checked naca.net to see if there is an attorney located near you. Some attorney's may help you without you needing to come see them. I know in my practice that I have client's scan or fax their paperwork to me so I can review it and assist them. Of course it is always best to have an in person meeting, however, there are many situations that make a personal meeting near impossible.
    I strongly suggest you go to naca.net to find a consumer protection attorney in your area.
    Best of luck to you