I recently was arrested for DUI. Is there anyway to get lawyers to stop sending mail to my house?

My family are devout Christians and I don't want them to see all this mail with DUI written all over it.

Orange, CA -

Chad Raymond Maddox

Chad Raymond Maddox

DUI / DWI Attorney - Orange, CA

You may have got one from me. I wont send anymore.
despite what others say about the State Bar, there is nothing illegal, unethical, or immoral about sending mail to someone accused of a crime, offering them help. You are innocent until proven guilty, thats why we want to help. For example, you undoubtedly are aware that you have 10 days to request a hearing with the DMV to save your license. Many other accused drivers do NOT know this. The only place they are told is in the fine print of thier temporary license. The license says it is good for 30 days. Often the driver is given a ticket with a court date about 30 days away. Many drivers assume that these are related, and do nothing until they go to court. By then, the 10 day deadline has run out, and they have waived thier right to a DMV hearing. So they lose thier license, without ever having a chance to defend themselves. This is an injustice. We send letters immediately to help avoid that event. Our clients appreciate it. In 11 years, I have heard less than 10 people express unhappiness about it. The large majority either find the information helpful, or ignore the letters.

This does not form an attorney-client relationship. I require a written agreement before I begin work on any case.
Joseph Briscoe Dane

Joseph Briscoe Dane

Criminal Defense Attorney - Orange, CA

Unfortunately, arrest logs are public records and there are services that comb them and sell the list to attorney marketing services. The good news is that they usually come in a flurry, then dwindle off. By now, hopefully you've gotten the last ofthem so nobody else sees them.

John M. Kaman

John M. Kaman

DUI / DWI Attorney - San Francisco, CA

I don't think there is a practical way to stop their solicitations immediately. I would save the letters and return envelopes and forward them with a complaint to the state bar. Obviously lawyers who practice law this way need to be policed. The state bar may slow them down over the long run.

Andrew Stephen Roberts

Andrew Stephen Roberts

DUI / DWI Attorney - Thousand Oaks, CA

There is no real way to stop these letters. These attorneys belong to a service that provides them with lists of people who were arrested for DUI's. They are in effect soliciting/fishing for business- despite what the letters say. The State Bar is aware of this and has done nothing! They should stop coming in about a week.

You do need an attorney. You do need to contact the DMV and request a hearing within 10 days of your arrest to help protect your driving privileges.

Andrew Roberts

Joseph Briscoe Dane

Joseph Briscoe Dane

Criminal Defense Attorney - Orange, CA