I recently received a settlement for a sexual harassment/wrongful termination lawsuit . Do I need to pay taxes on it?

Asked about 3 years ago - Philadelphia, PA

It was settled out of court prior to trial 3 years after I was terminated. Employer settled rather than admit liability. There was nothing documented as to whether the money was for lost wages, damages, psychological distress, etc. It was just a flat settlement made to make the whole thing go away. My lawyer took his share up front but I am getting conflicting answers as to whether or not my money is taxable.

1. Henry Daniel Lively

Answered . Unless this was for a physical injuries or discrimination your settlement is taxable and included in your income in the year you received the settlement.

2. William F. Kunofsky

Pro

Answered . Your question is not very specific about the actual damages you suffered. Normally, damages are included in taxable income. However, personal injury is excluded from taxable income. Talk with a tax attorney or CPA about this prior to filing your tax return. Remember that you must have the money to pay the tax debt.