I recently received a DWI at a checkpoint in North Carolina. Is there any chance that I will not be found guilty?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Greensboro, NC

I was pulled over late at night in Greensboro at a checkpoint. I had 2 friends with me who were drinking heavily, and I had a few drinks but was not drunk. The officer took me onto the BAT mobile (as he called it) and I blew a .08 on the Intox EC/IT-II. While this was happening, the officer gave one of my friends (who had been drinking much more than I had) a breath test outside and he blew a .05, so the officer let him drive us back. Is there any likelihood that I may be able to beat this DWI, or should I plead guilty?

1. Damon John Chetson

10

Answered . On these facts, this is actually a good case. Obviously no guarantees can be made, but it's unlikely that they saw any bad driving since it was a checkpoint. The .08 itself is sufficient to find you guilty, but a line of cases in the past two years has reiterated that a .08 does not require a guilty result. Of course, part of this is going to depend on your conduct - if you did well on the SFSTs, didn't make a ton of admissions, and you were polite/cooperative, walking ok, etc. you have a good issue on impairment.

You also may have a good issue on the checkpoint itself - checkpoints can't be for general crime enforcement. They need to have a specific programmatic purpose.

I'd suggest you contact Bill Powers, who posts here frequently. He's based out of Charlotte, but I believe he does cover your area. (I don't go to Greensboro, preferring to stay in my home county of Wake County). You can visit his website at www.powmac.com

This is certainly a case where you should talk to a lawyer - there are potentially good issues, and in the long haul, being found not guilty is worth the cost of the lawyer, if that happens.

2. Richard Caro Roxin

4

Answered . You need the assistance of local, experienced DWI attorney who is comfortable in the courtroom and who will review the legal issues and offer advice on moving forward. Understand that every jurisdiction is different, but, as others have pointed out, the thing about checkpoint stops that is common from one state to another is that rarely do they involve observations by a police officer of bad driving which, on the open road, might get a motorist pulled over. Good luck.

3. Jim Mitchell Medley

3

Answered . In addition to your performance on police field exercises, breath testing is a questionable science. The use of breath testing machines in a truck on the side of the road is even more questionable. Make sure you hire a lawyer who can question the government at EVERY LEVEL to fight for your defense.

4. Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

3

Answered . There is a real chance that (1) you are not guilty, and (2) you can win this case.

You need the assistance of a good dwi/owi/dui/drunk driving defense lawyer.

If any answer on AVVO helps you, mine or someone else’s, please mark it as "helpful" or "best answer" to help AVVO know which answers to show others.
    Thank you.

--- Experienced DUI/DWI/OWI/Drunk Driving Lawyer in Madison, Wisconsin
    http://addbalance.com/drunk_driving_lawyer.htm

--- Facebook Page Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin Drunk Driving / OWI / DWI / DUI Lawyer
    http://www.facebook.com/MadisonWiDrunkDrivingLa...

--- Field sobriety "tests" – Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin DUI / DWI / OWI / Drunk Driving lawyer
    http://addbalance.com/fieldsobrietytests.htm

--- Drugged Driving/DUI/DWI/Drunk Driving with Prescription Drugs – Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin
    http://addbalance.com/duidrugs.htm

--- Which Offenses Count as Priors in Wisconsin? - Madison Dane County Wisconsin DUI OWI Drunk Driving Lawyer answers
    http://addbalance.com/duimath.htm

--- Ten Days to Save Your License - Administrative Suspension and Refusals in Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin
    http://addbalance.com/duitendaywarning.htm

DISCLAIMER:

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum.

I am an experienced Wisconsin drunk driving (DUI/OWI/DWI) defense lawyer practicing in Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the Internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you.

If something I say disagrees with what your own lawyer is telling you, you should rely on your lawyer who is familiar with you, your entire case, the local courts and practices.

To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services.

This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only.

See “more” link below for more important information about this answer and AVVO.

5. Zachary Andrew Cohen

Pro

1

Answered . I agree with each response. You need to find an attorney who has experience in taking DWI's to trial. You have some great facts that may result in a dismissal or a not guilty verdict. Based on the facts that you have recited, you should certainly fight this case.