I recently had a surgical procedure done. They offered "Conscious sedation" but I refused, and asked for general anesthesia.

Asked over 2 years ago - Cincinnati, OH

I had previously regained consciousness and experienced extreme pain, so I demanded general anesthesia. When I "woke up", the doctor asked if I "remembered anything or had any pain during- which tells me they went against my wishes and gave me the "conscious sedation" anyway. I'm fine and no harm was done. Do I have any legal recourse if I can prove they went against my sedation wishes, when no harm was done?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Brian Robert Wilson

    Contributor Level 9


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . In my humble opinion, no. First, you can be in a state of sedation less than general anesthesia and still not have remembered or felt anything. "Deep sedation" is a state of sedation less than general anesthesia but can still achieve loss of consciousness and lack of pain sensation. It is one of many different levels of sedation an anesthesiologist can achieve. perhaps this is what the anesthesiologist did or had in mind when he or she asked you that question. I wouldn't necessarily assume you received "conscious sedation" from the question. The only way to even find out is to order your records and have an expert decipher them. If you want to find out simply for educational purposes for your next procedure, that's one thing. But given the fact that you were not harmed at all, in my opinion it would not be worth it at all to investigate. of course, this is only my opinion. Others may have a different view.

    Not intended as legal advice and no attorney client relationship is formed unless there is a signed agreement... more
  2. Joseph Jonathan Brophy

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . No. Harm = damages. There was no harm, so there were no damages, or to be precise, only nominal damages.

    Any opinions stated in response to Avvo questions are based upon the facts stated in the question. Responses to... more
  3. Elizabeth Taylor Herd


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I am not licensed in OH but can offer you general advice. In a civil action, you are suing to recover compensatory damages. If there are no damages, there would logically be no monetary recovery. My suggestion is to contact the risk manager at the facility where your procedure was performed, and/or the Agency for Healthcare Administration to report the offense.

  4. Timothy Kent Hobbs II

    Contributor Level 11

    Answered . You should consult a local attorney to discuss your case.

    Timothy K. Hobbs II
    Attorney at Law
    Web: Hobbs Law Group
    Email: t.hobbs@hobbslawgroup.com

    The answers on this discussion board are general in nature and NOT intended as legal advice. Responding to... more

Related Topics

Medical malpractice

Medical malpractice occurs when a medical professional's negligence causes injury to a patient. Incorrect actions and inaction can both be forms of negligence.

Jonathan Michael Rolnick

Medical Malpractice Case

There is an expectation when we see a physician or go to the hospital that a certain "reasonable" standard of care will be provided. In most cases, this is exactly what happens. There are... more

Surgical malpractice and personal injury

Surgical malpractice occurs when a medical professional makes an error during surgery that was both preventable and beyond the normal risks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,338 answers this week

3,555 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,338 answers this week

3,555 attorneys answering