I recently got a DUI, do i need a lawyer?

Canton, OH |

This will be my first offense in 6 years, blowing a .174. When I was younger I received a underage DUI charge, blowing a .18. Is it in my best interest to get a lawyer?

1. Yes, when facing charges that could result in mandatory incarceration and/or suspension of your driving privileges, it is important that you retain the services of an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. An experienced attorney who knows the DUI laws will be able to help you defend against the charges or explore options for a non-trial disposition that can minimize the impact this offense will have on your life. It is important to contact an attorney licensed in your state. Best of luck with your case.

2. Absolutely. You need a lawyer to make sure your rights are protected and to have a fighting chance to minimize your exposure. An aggressive DUI/OVI attorney will be able to determine if the police officer(s) acted properly, examine the breath testing machine to see if they were in accordance with state regulations, review the field sobriety tests, etc. Anyone charged with DUI/OVI should always be represented by a lawyer. Too much is at stake to just go to court and plea guilty. Feel free to contact me if you have more questions.

~~~~~~~~~~ Patrick Leary is a licensed attorney in Ohio. Any answers provided by Mr. Leary in the Q&A Forum are intended to be informative, but should not be considered legal advice. Furthermore, answers provided herein do not establish an attorney-client relationship. Thank you.

3. Ditto, you absolutely need a lawyer and just because the machine says .174 doesn't mean it's accurate.

There is much that can be done to challenge the legality of the traffic stop, probable cause to arrest and the admissibility of evidence (such as the field sobriety tests and breath test). It is important to hire a lawyer who regularly FIGHTS for his clients by doing motions to suppress and trials.

4. YES--always..if you have a DMV in OH you may have to contact them ASAP by phone at least or forfeit your driving. It may be for multiple years depending upon how they treat priors and minor dui convictions