I recently got a dui. do i need legal representation at my court appearance? What are the chances of getting court supervision

Asked over 1 year ago - Eureka, IL

I also received a speeding ticket. This is my first offense for a dui. No wrecks or other vehicles were involved. I don't have a lot of money, and am currently unemployed....Is there a possibility of limited driving privledges, or that monitor that I've seen advertised that you have to blow into before your car will even start

1. Tiffany Rose Ritchie

9

Answered . DUIs are one of the most serious crimes you can be charged with when it comes to money out of pocket. Additionally, DUIs can affect many things in your future that you might not foresee. You don't necessarily need a lawyer to proceed. You can appear at your court hearing and represent yourself. But given the serious ramifications of a plea, even if you get supervision, I still recommend contact an attorney, at least for a consultation, to see if you have any possible defenses to launch. Depending on the facts of your case, there could be a possibility of limited driving privileges and use of a BAID interlock device.

Tiffany Ritchie
    (312) 888-5833
    srtriallawyers.com

2. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

9

Answered . I appreciate your humble financial station; however, you are facing one of the most serious traffic offences that have a lifetime effect on your driving privileges and employment prospects.
    You are rightfully concerned with driving eligibility after your court ordeal, however, to advise you in one single Avvo paragraph on such a complex legal matter would be inappropriate and even cavalier. I suggest retaining a professional to handle your DUI Illinois case.

3. Charles Gregory Schierer

7

Answered . Thank you for your question. Court supervision is not automatic. You qualify being a first time offender. You should hire a lawyer to have the case handled properly. There are many factors to consider and the evidence should be reviewed carefully by your lawyer before you consider any plea. Good luck.

Charles Schierer
    Schierer & Ritchie
    1-312-888-5832
    www.srtriallawyers.com

4. John Matthew Leace

8

Answered . Although they are misdemeanors, DUIs carry a bevy of collateral consequences. Thus, I always recommend that a person charged with a DUI hires an experienced criminal attorney. Make sure the attorney handles DUIs regularly because this is an area of law with a lot of nuance.

5. Ted Harvatin

Pro

6

Answered . If you are over 18, no injuries, had a valid license, you qualify for MDDP. You don't need a lawyer for that.

6. Steven H. Fagan

Pro

6

Answered . You absolutely need an attorney, and I've linked to a video explaining why. As to supervision, it may be a good solution for you, but that depends on the strength or weakness of your case, and a complete understanding of your criminal background - see the link below regarding supervision. Driving privileges are available, and again, I'll provide a link to a video explaining that more.

7. Joseph A Lo Piccolo

7

Answered . Yes--You need an attorney. There are many consequences.

8. Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

Pro

6

Answered . You've already heard from multiple Illinois lawyers, good lawyers. They've told you to actually talk, in person, with a DUI / DWI / OWI / Drunk Driving Lawyer, now.

If things are handled, you may well be able to avoid a conviction on this. Chances are better with a lawyer.

If any answer on AVVO helps you, mine or someone else’s, please mark it as "helpful" or "best answer" to help AVVO know which answers to show others.
    Thank you.

--- Experienced DUI/DWI/OWI/Drunk Driving Lawyer in Madison, Wisconsin
    http://addbalance.com/drunk_driving_lawyer.htm

--- Facebook Page Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin Drunk Driving / OWI / DWI / DUI Lawyer
    http://www.facebook.com/MadisonWiDrunkDrivingLa...

--- Field sobriety "tests" – Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin DUI / DWI / OWI / Drunk Driving lawyer
    http://addbalance.com/fieldsobrietytests.htm

--- Drugged Driving/DUI/DWI/Drunk Driving with Prescription Drugs – Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin
    http://addbalance.com/duidrugs.htm

--- Which Offenses Count as Priors in Wisconsin? - Madison Dane County Wisconsin DUI OWI Drunk Driving Lawyer answers
    http://addbalance.com/duimath.htm

--- Ten Days to Save Your License - Administrative Suspension and Refusals in Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin
    http://addbalance.com/duitendaywarning.htm

DISCLAIMER:

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum.

I am an experienced Wisconsin drunk driving (DUI/OWI/DWI) defense lawyer practicing in Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the Internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these Internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This Internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged.

If something I say disagrees with what your own lawyer is telling you, you should rely on your lawyer who is familiar with you, your entire case, the local courts and practices.

There may very well be merit to your defense or position in this type of situation. However, there are hardly sufficient details for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided. Those facts should not be put on a public Internet site.

Most questions are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Few, if any, legal matters should be handled via Internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services.

This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only. See “more” link below for more.