I recently found out my parents had unclaimed property Funds/Liquid from Eaton Vance Management now being held by the State

Asked 6 months ago - Salt Lake City, UT

Both my parents are deceased the last activity on this is wa 1986. Neither of my parents left a will. The State will only provide the dollar amount upon proof of ownership. The website only indicates the value to be more than $100.00 Do I need an attorney in this case, additionally my siblings and I have no contact do I need to notify them as well or what is the best route to proceed ?

Additional information

If I hire a probate Attorney will the costs be something I would incur or would they be paid from any proceeds ? And is there any way to find out the dollar amount before creating additional costs which could create a overall loss ?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Micah F McBride

    Contributor Level 8


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Most likely you will need to pay for the attorney out of your own pocket since you are not acting on behalf of the estate as a personal representative of the estate.

  2. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You will need a probate attorney to open the estate to collect the funds.
    Most likely-the other children will need to be notified

    The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,488 answers this week

3,365 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,488 answers this week

3,365 attorneys answering