I recently fired my public defender. Retaining counsel. New court date in 3 weeks. Is it possible to get more time to work case?

Asked over 1 year ago - Amarillo, TX

Charged with pos. c/s 1>4 g. on 8/12 12. Made bond and was appointed cousel thru the public defenders office in Randall Cnty Tx. I do have a history. Learned about indictment thru newspaper, not attorney. The state enhances charge from 3rd to 2nd which carries 2-20 yrs. state s first offer is 10 yrs. t.d.c.j. A week or so before court my atty. calls and says he got them down to 7 yrs.. My atty. postpones the 1st court date on his behalf. The 2nd one i could not make and asked to have postponed due to personal matters. He calls back and said he tried to get postponment w/ no luck and that i had until 11am to get to the courthouse or the bondwould be revoked and warrant issued. I live over 90 miles away. I then call court admn.& she does it w/out hesitation. He didnt even really try.FIRED

Excuse me! I apologize by using the term "fired". I guess I should have said I hired an"attorney". The courts allowed this and greatfully so!!

1. Evan Edward Pierce-Jones

1

Answered . Mr. Loncar from Los Angeles has given the textbook answer. However, some judges are reluctant to give added time for a recently hired lawyer to get ready. This especially true if the new lawyer comes into the case right before the scheduled trial date. However, sometimes that works out just fine. I substituted in for appointed counsel about 10 days before a scheduled jury trial date on a second degree felony this month, and the judge gave me no trouble getting the trial moved off a few months to get ready. Your new lawyer should be able to orient you to what may go down in your particular case.

2. John M. Kaman

Pro

1

Answered . You can't fire a public defender because you didn't hire him. He was appointed by the Court and only the Court can remove him. If this indeed happened I wouldn't be so happy about it. Finding a decent private attorney can be difficult.

3. Nicholas Milan Loncar

Pro

1

Answered . The court should grant your new attorney time to read over the case, develop a case strategy, and investigate any matters that could be relevant.