I recently filed a 'change of status' application. Can USCIS find out that I worked without authorization for 5 days?

Asked about 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

I've been in the US for over three years as a student. I only worked five days without authorization and got less than $200. The company did pay taxes and I got a paystub but I never received a W2 after. Am I going to be permanently banned from the country if the government finds out?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Easy. There is a question on the form and you have to disclose it. Specifically: pay attention to Part 3, section e of the USCIS form I-539 which asks you whether you have ever violated conditions of your nonimmigrant status. You would have to say "yes" and disclose 5 days of unauthorized employment.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866)... more
  2. Lynne Rogers Feldman

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Can they find out -- probably yes if taxes were taken out of your pay check. Will it be relevant to the status you are applying for is a separate and more important question that can't be answered from the facts presented. If your employment happened this year you may want to give the money back and tell the employer you would rather volunteer.

    Lynne R. Feldman, Attorney at Law
    Concentrating in Immigration Law

    2221 Camino Del Rio South, Suite 201
    San Diego, CA 92108 | (619) 299-9600
    Fax: (619) 923-3277
    website: www.immigrateme.com

    Former Adjunct Professor -- Immigration law
    University of Illinois College of Law

  3. Sreenivasarao Vepachedu

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . They might find out.

    This is not a legal advice or solicitation, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Consult with an... more
  4. John Grayson Davidson


    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Consult with an immigration attorney in person. You may get some different answers.

    Free Consultation Anywhere in USA | 626-399-4194 |ICannHelpYouNow.com | John1Davidson@gmail.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,504 answers this week

2,947 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,504 answers this week

2,947 attorneys answering