I RECENTLY BROKE THE LAW BY SHOPLIFTING IN CHES GEN I WAS NOT OUT THE STORE WHEN CAUGHT MY FIRST AND ONLY OFFENCE WHEN

SHOULD I REQUEST A COURT APPOINTED LAWER TO SPEAK FOR ME DUE TO MY SITUATION AND I LIVE IN ANOTHER STATE

Chesapeake, VA -

Brook Michael Thibault

Brook Michael Thibault

Criminal Defense Attorney - Virginia Beach, VA

Yes you should have an attorney. A class 1 misdemeanor is punishable up to a year in jail. I'd be happy to help you out if you have questions or would like to have a free consultation. Give me a call at 757-377-0144. Good luck.

Mitchell Mead Wells

Mitchell Mead Wells

Criminal Defense Attorney - Richmond, VA

The law does not require the merchandise to leave the property and there is another provision in the law that criminalizes "concealment." You need an attorney.

Timothy Kevin Wilson

Timothy Kevin Wilson

Criminal Defense Attorney - Manassas, VA

You are accused of a criminal offense for which you could be incarcerated for up to a year - assuming the offense is a misdemeanor. It seems clear to me that you are not familiar with criminal law, criminal procedure, constitutional principles, the rules of evidence, etc., so I'm hoping it is clear to you that you need a lawyer to help you through this process. If you don't get a lawyer to help you - you're going to be representing yourself...and you have no idea how to do that.

If you find this answer helpful, please click the Thumbs Up icon below.

For important answers to other Frequently Asked Questions about DUI, Criminal and Traffic Offenses in Virginia, visit my website at: http://www.tkevinwilsonlawyer.com/faq.cfm.

T. Kevin Wilson, Esq.
The Wilson Law Firm
DUI, Criminal & Traffic Defense...When Results Matter
9300 Grant Avenue, Suite 301
Manassas, Virginia 20110

Telephone 888-DUI-LWYR
Telephone 703-361-6100
Facsimile 703-365-7988

www.TheWilsonLawFirm.org

*** DISCLAIMER ***
The information contained in this message is for general informational purposes only. It is not intended to be legal advice, nor is it a substitute for professional legal services. The Wilson Law Firm disclaims the formation of an attorney-client relationship by use of AVVO, and no such relationship exists unless and until a written Fee Agreement has been endorsed by The Wilson Law Firm and the client. Furthermore, given the public nature of this forum, there can be no expectation of privacy, confidentiality, privilege, or any other protection from disclosure.

Stephen Patrick Pfeiffer

Stephen Patrick Pfeiffer

You definitely should have an attorney represent you. This offense is a Class 1 Misdemeanor which carries with it the possibility of jail. If you cannot afford an attorney it is always prudent to seek the help of a public defender.

Also, I understand you live out of state. Be sure to check your papers to ensure you have the ability to leave the Commonwealth. Some bound terms require you to remain in the Commonwealth and you would have to petition the court to modify your bond to allow you to leave.

If I can be of assistance please feel free to contact me at the link below.

Related Advice