I recently bought a triplex and live in one of the units, do I need to set up an LLC to deduct expenses for the rental units?

Asked over 1 year ago - Everett, WA

I would like to deduct a home office, repairs, etc. but don't know if I need to set up a business first. If so, do I need to do this before purchasing items I would later like to deduct?

1. Steven M Zelinger

Pro

2

1

Answered . You should consult with an attorney and/or tax advisor. It is usually beneficial for people who own rental properties to set up an LLC or other entity for many reasons including liability protection and the ability to deduct business expenses. If you bought the property already you also need to consider if forming an entity and transferring the property will result in a transfer tax - this is why we often advise clients to set up the LLC first and purchase via the LLC to avoid double transfer tax but check with an expert on WA real estate transfers.

2. Alan James Brinkmeier

Answered . Use an attorney to meet your needs