I recently asked the question If a probation officer can call up a casino and get information on my play status or play history

Sacramento, CA |

All the answers I got back were YES he and yes I have no rights.. but when I asked the supervisor if this is true.. She laughed and said no way in hell could they give out any information about anything on one of there players unless they had warrant or subpoena. so I'm just curious was i just getting answers from UN experienced lawyers . or were they just answering just to answer.. it really bothers me that i come to this forum for advice and ask for help from professionals and get the wrong advice

The casino could voluntarily disclose your information to your P.O., but they could not be FORCED to do so without a warrant or subpoena. I bet an imaginary penny that my investigator could get your gambling history and status without a warrant or subpoena.

Your P.O. can legally bust into your HOME and shake you down 24/7. Maybe your P.O. is intentionally leading you to believe she is less able to monitor your behavior than she actually is to keep you off guard.

I think you got correct advice.

Michael Stewart Phillips

Michael Stewart Phillips

You P.O. and the "supervisor" who wants you to keep playing.

Michael Stewart Phillips

Michael Stewart Phillips

Dangit! *Your P.O., not you

Sec. 6801.Protection of nonpublic personal information (a) Privacy obligation policy. It is the policy of the Congress that each financial institution has an affirmative and continuing obligation to respect the privacy of its customers and to protect the security and confidentiality of those customers' nonpublic personal information.(b) Financial institutions safeguards. In furtherance of the policy in subsection (a) of this section, each agency or authority described in section 6805(a) of this title shall establish appropriate standards for the financial institutions subject to their jurisdiction relating to administrative, technical, and physical safeguards - (1) to insure the security and confidentiality of customer records and information; (2) to protect against any anticipated threats or hazards to the security or integrity of such records; and (3) to protect against unauthorized access to or use of such records or information which could result in substantial harm or inconvenience to any customer. I find (3) to be of particular interest in that they mention "substantial harm or inconvenience to any customer". Doesn't the sharing of your personal information to other Casinos/Griffin/SIN/Biometrica cause the advantage player "substantial harm" or at the very least "inconvenience"?

so no they cannot give it voluntarily

Nicholas Basil Spirtos

Nicholas Basil Spirtos

Without knowing exactly what statute you are citing from, I would wager (pun intended) that a casino does not fall within the meaning of the term "financial institution" so as to be subject to the statute.

Nicholas Basil Spirtos

Nicholas Basil Spirtos

Seeing your comment to another answer, since the act you rely on defines financial institutions as insurance companies, banks, lending institutions, consumer reporting agencies such as credit bureaus, etc. - I would now wager even more that a casino is not subject to the statute.

the griffin act defines a casino as a financial institution.. just for example if someone were able to call up a casino and ask my play history and dates and times .. then they were to use that information to estimate my wereabouts at the given times the casino released.. said person could commit a criminal act agasint me.. like robbery, murder, so i would think they would be very careful on what they disclose

If a bunch of lawyers told you yes but a casino owner said no why would you believe the owner over the lawyers and assume they all have no experience?

Because I was recently congratulated by an Avvo questioner for having the courage not to use a disclaimer, let me make it clear that I have always answered questions subject to the Avvo general disclaimer. The answers I give are for educational purposes and not to be relied upon for legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is intended or established by virtue of these answers.

This is why Non-public information, as defined by the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act, includes a consumers name, address, telephone number, date of birth, social security number, and any other information that was derived from any sort of application or form wherein the consumer provided such information to a financial institution. The GLB Act provides that the following institutions, and others, are considered financial institutions: insurance companies, banks, lending institutions, consumer reporting agencies such as credit bureaus, etc. For practical purposes as applicable to our service, virtually all consumer information that is obtained from these sources may be considered non-public information, and is therefore controlled by the GLB Act.

John M. Kaman

John M. Kaman

So the cop or PO say, looking around, have you been audited lately? And guess what the owner does.

to a mom and pop business i can see that .. but to a huge giant corporation highly unlikely

John M. Kaman

John M. Kaman

You'd be surprised.

When you asked the casino owner, did you ask as someone who was concerned about your playing history? Or did you ask as an investigator? The casino is in the business of making money. The supervisor will say exactly what you want to hear and then show you to a table to start gambling.

Mr. Phillips' answer hits the nail on the head.

i definitely wouldn't recommend hiring you and the above lawyers if needed

Civil rights topics