I recently answered an ad in craigslist and uploaded a photo and someone posted it on a predator list. What action can I take?

Brentwood, NY |
Filed under: Internet law

The poster who I thought was a woman, sent me emails asking me sexual questions. I replied and told them to leave me alone or I would report him for harassment.He immediately responded by sending me a link to a sexual predator list with my picture and email. I tried to delete my profile but the website wants $ 100.00 to do it. I mailed them and told them I have no record of any sexual nature or any criminal activity in over 10 yrs. all misdemeanors. This will affect my job search due to background checks and my personal life. What can be done to resolve this?

First, stop posting things on Craigslist (or responding to ads) that you don't want the world to know/have - including your pictures. Second you can try to contact the organization who maintains the list and ask them to take down your picture. You may also have a cause of action for defamation if you can prove actual harm (not just emotional). Obtain a copy of the website, then speak with an attorney and lay out the facts. Best of luck.

I am licensed in California, therefore, my answers are based on general prinicpals of law or California law, which may not be applicable in your jurisdiction. Answers posted to Avvo are for general information only. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case. Every case depends is fact dependent, and responses are limited to and is based on the information you posted. No attorney-client relationship shall be created through the use reading of this response on Avvo. You should never delay seeking legal advice, disregard legal advice, or commence or discontinue any legal action because of information in this response.

The fastest way to get this down is to pay the $100. Stop communicating with this person. If you know the person's identity, take him to small claims.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com

Contact Roche Pia http://www.rochepia.com/ They've handled cases like this

Internet law topics