I received my letter for probate

Placerville, CA |

but i don't know what i'm suppose to do next and i'm scared i have court on monday and the judge wants to know how the probate is going please oh please tell me what i'm to do next everything is done as far as the land the bills the taxes everything is paid just left is to give the money out and some how transfer name over and close but i don't know the paper work and how to finish

ok after you receive your letters what paper work do i file next i have paid all the bills that were due and filed taxes and have closed out all credit cars and have had the property cleared there was a fire everything was destroyed , except the land, everthing is done except i don;t know what to file next please HELP thank you. also i have hired a referee, and he did his job, , inventory and appraisal was complete and filed ,and approved

1. After letters are issued the estate must then be administered. You will have to prepare and file an inventory and accounting of the estate assets.

It sounds like you may need to consult a probate attorney or legal-aid in your county to make sure everything is being handled correctly.

2. I agree with Attorney Weiss. You may need to consult with an attorney to make sure that everything is filed as it should be. It is difficult to advise you here without reviewing the documents you have already filed and knowing what the nature of the hearing is. What is the hearing about specifically?

It sounds as though you’ve had the Letters for awhile if you have been able to pay the estate’s expenses, have the Inventory and Appraisal completed and approved, and filed taxes on behalf of the decedent and the estate. Has the four month time period in which creditor’s of the estate could file a claim with the estate expired? Has more than a year lapsed since you started the Probate? If any of these time frames have past, then the court may be asking you to either prepare an interim accounting or a final accounting. Either way, the accounting must be prepared in a specific format.

Regarding your hearing on Monday, there is really nothing to be afraid of. It sounds like you are suppose to be apprising the judge as to the estate’s status. If the judge will be asking for an accounting, and you have not prepared one, then you’ll need to explain where you are in that process. If want to consult with an attorney, and you have not continued the case excessively, you should request a continuance from the judge.

Disclaimer: The above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. My responses are intended to provide general information about the question posted. I am licensed to practice in the state of California. The information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for conferring with or hiring a competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your state.

3. Tell the judge you need time to get a lawyer, AND THEN GET A LAWYER!!!!!

The materials available at this web site are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Use of and access to this Web site or any of the e-mail links contained within the site do not create an attorney-client relationship between Howard Roitman, Esq. and the user or browser. The opinions expressed at or through this site are the opinions of the individual author and may not reflect the opinions of the firm or any individual attorney.

Wills and estates topics