I received from the court notice that a Civil Trial Assignment - Short Cause - Civil Trial Assignment has be set. What is this?

Elk Grove, CA |

I was sued by a collection agency who bought my credit card debt. I filed my general denial and answered their discovery questions. I just received in the mail a letter from Sac Sup Ct. that a Civil Trial Assignment - Short Cause - Civil Trial Assignment has been scheduled for hearing in January in Dept. 47. What does this mean? Is this the actual trial or are we appearing to select a trial date? Thank you.

That's your notice of trial. Be ready to go with your evidence. Good luck!

The information provided is for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice. I am only licensed in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and I am not providing you with specific legal advice. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Being general in nature, the information provided may not apply to any specific factual and/or legal set of circumstances and/or the jurisdiction where you reside. No attorney-client relationship is formed nor should any such relationship be implied. The information provided is of a general nature is not intended to substitute for the advice of an attorney, especially an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Your question, although you may believe is simple, it is not simple. You require legal advice, please consult with a competent attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction.

Your matter will be on trial.

If you don't know how to defend now is when to hire an attorney

Don't wait until a day or two before to hire an attorney

Do it now

You are going to trial. "Short cause" refers to the fact that a debt collection matter is a very short trial consisting of hours not days. Check the local rules about disclosing witnesses and exhibits if you intend to offer any. Good luck.

Transmission of the information is not intended to create, and receipt does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship between you and Jeffrey Lewis. If you have a legal question, you should contact an attorney and seek legal advice based on your specific circumstances. Do not take any actions or refrain from acting based on any information contained in this website. Jeffrey Lewis disclaims any liability or responsibility for any actions taken or not taken in reliance on this website.

Litigation topics