I RECEIVED CIVIL SUITE PAPERS FROM BILL COLLECTION ATTORNYS, DO I HAVE TO SHOW UP FOR COURT?

Norman Park, GA |

A JUDGEMENT HAS ALREADY AGAINST ME AND NOW RECEIVED CIVIL COURT PAPERS

You question does not make sense. How can they claim a judgment against you if you were just served? Did a sheriff serve you with other papers previously? At this point, you probably need to have someone look at the papers you were served. If this is a new suit and you don't show up in court, you will end up with a judgment against you. If you were never served before and the papers are some type of post judgment pleading, you need to find out why they think they have a judgment against you. In any event, just not showing up would not be an option as only bad things can happen to you in that event. Talk to an attorney in your area. If you have a friend who is an attorney, they probably can tell you what kind of papers you were served, but don't expect the friend to represent you for free at court.

This answer is for general purposes only, and it does not create an attorney-client relationship.

I believe you are mistaken. Merely serving you with the lawsuit does NOT mean you have a judgment against you. The creditor must take you to court and win before they will receive a judgment. If the amount is worth it, I would consult an attorney, like us, who specializes in debtor defense. If you do nothing, they WILL receive a default judgment. This includes not answering the suit and not showing up in court. Best Wishes.

You seem to be leaving things out or mistaken.

You don't receive papers (usually) after judgment except in certain situations, unless you ignored post judgment discovery and are being cited for contempt. Is it possible you have a garnishment? Or that you have a judgment from another state being domesticated here?

In any event, see a lawyer ASAP to determine what you need to do to avoid things like garnishment on your pay and bank accounts.

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes