Professional
legal advice
for $99.

Avvo Instant
Talk to a lawyer

I received an I 797 approval notice. What is the next step?

Hi, My father has applied for a family based green card for me, he is a permanent resident in the US. I recently received an I 797 "petition approved" notice from USCIS. What does this mean, my priority date is still August 1st 2010. But does this approval notice mean that I am being fast tracked, since I am already in the country on a student visa. Please advise me as to what the next steps on my part are. Thanks.

Mentor, OH -

Carl Michael Shusterman

Carl Michael Shusterman

Immigration Attorney - Los Angeles, CA

There is no "fast track", and you must wait until your priority date is current. If you under 21 years of age, you are in the 2A category. If you are over 21 years of age, you are in the 2B category.

For additional information, please see

Philip Alan Eichorn

Philip Alan Eichorn

Immigration Attorney - Cleveland, OH

You'll need your priority date to be current before you can use the visa petition. Track the visa bulletin monthly and when your number is current and you're still in status, you can file to adjust.

Wendy Renee Whitt

Wendy Renee Whitt

Immigration Attorney - Plano, TX

I agree with the above attorneys. However, you also need to be aware that if your student visa expires before your priority date is current, you will need to leave the US (unless you are able to change your status to something else such as H1B). If you overstay your visa, you would not be able to adjust your status to permanent resident.