I received ambulance services & they didn't bill my insurance nor did they bill me directly, they sent it directly to collection

Indianapolis, IN |

The collection attorney notified me over a year later, too late for me to turn into insurance myself. Now, this is showing on my credit report. The collection office offers no help, other than my paying 50%. Where can I get help for this? I don't feel like I should have to pay any more than what my insurance wouldn't have paid if the ambulance service would have billed someone appropriately - either me or my insurance company.

You should consult with a consumer protection attorney in your area, to see what can be done under both federal and state consumer protection laws. It sounds like this could be an unfair debt collection practice. It is odd that they didn't at least send you an initial bill. Check the NACA consumer protection attorney link below to find someone in your area that does collection defense.

I agree with Mr. Cantrell.

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt