I received a traffic ticket for performing a u-turn in a business district in a small town in Michigan

Plymouth, MI |

I plan on debating the ticket but my choices to plea are either to: Admit responsibility with explanation or Deny responsibility. If I admit responsibility does that mean the ticket and points can not be changed? If I deny responsibility am I in for a legal battle with a lawyer? The Michigan State Police Uniform Traffic Code rule 434 is not evenly adopted throughout the State and there were no traffic signs in the business district.

Admitting responsibility with an explanation will not be very helpful, as it will not lessen the fines or potential points. Requesting an informal hearing is a better course of action. You will meet first with the police officer and perhaps a resolution can be reached. Failing that, a magistrate will hear the case and render a decision. If you disagree with the outcome, you may then request a formal hearing before the judge. This, in effect, restarts the process and you might still attain a favorable result. You raise a couple of interesting issues that might be worth discussing with an attorney. Good luck!