Skip to main content

I received a traffic ticket for performing a u-turn in a business district in a small town in Michigan

Plymouth, MI |

I plan on debating the ticket but my choices to plea are either to: Admit responsibility with explanation or Deny responsibility. If I admit responsibility does that mean the ticket and points can not be changed? If I deny responsibility am I in for a legal battle with a lawyer? The Michigan State Police Uniform Traffic Code rule 434 is not evenly adopted throughout the State and there were no traffic signs in the business district.

Attorney Answers 1


Admitting responsibility with an explanation will not be very helpful, as it will not lessen the fines or potential points. Requesting an informal hearing is a better course of action. You will meet first with the police officer and perhaps a resolution can be reached. Failing that, a magistrate will hear the case and render a decision. If you disagree with the outcome, you may then request a formal hearing before the judge. This, in effect, restarts the process and you might still attain a favorable result. You raise a couple of interesting issues that might be worth discussing with an attorney. Good luck!

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics