I received a summons taped to my door. This summons has no court date and no one has signed for this. What should I do?

Asked over 1 year ago - Monticello, IN

I am being sued over a credit card debt that has been charged off in 2008 and bought by an investment firm. That investment firm is now suing me. The debt is for 1900. Can you advise any options!

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Eric Charles Lewis

    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . You have 20 days from the date the summons was served to respond to the court with a responsive pleading, typically an "Answer." If you do not do so within that time, the Plaintiff can get a default judgment against you. You should consult an attorney immediately.

    Advice on this forum is for informational purposes only and should never be mistaken as a substitute for legal... more
  2. Dorothy G Bunce


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Different states allow different methods of delivering legal papers to people. The court where you are being served may have a self-help center where you can obtain forms to respond to this suit, or you may want to pay to consult an attorney for assistance in responding to this lawsuit. The amount of the suit may not make it worth the expense of obtaining legal representation. Once you respond to the suit, you can begin discussions with the other side to see if you can resolve this dispute outside of court. Hope this perspective helps!

  3. Gregory Neil Bachand

    Contributor Level 6

    Answered . Go to Indiana's judicial website and find the forms section. Download an appearance form and an answer form.

    On the appearance form just fill in your own name and say you are going to represent yourself. Pro se.

    On the answer form deny everything.

    Mail both forms in.

    Be sure to send copies to the lawyer who had the Marshal serve you.

    Wait a couple of days and call that attorney and offer to pay one third of the demanded amount in a lump sum in total payment. He won't accept it probably because he just spent a few hundred dollars filing suit, but you may in the end settle for 900 or thousand in a lump sum or $500 today and another thousand over two years paid monthly. Something like that. Be prepared to be flexible but also have your own ideas of what you can afford over what period of time to make this go away.

    Attorneys from Bachand & Bachand try to answer questions in the spirit of "giving back" to the community. If... more

Related Topics


There are different types of debt, but all involve one person (the debtor) owing money to another (the creditor). Terms of repayment are governed by a contract.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,864 answers this week

3,250 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,864 answers this week

3,250 attorneys answering