I received a summons and complaint for a broken lease from almost 5 yrs ago.The amount is over $3400. Will a lawyer help me?

Asked over 1 year ago - Peoria, AZ

The apt was infested with bugs. The apts continued to spray and bombed but the problem persisted. They blamed us. Our kids were getting sick so we left. Only 4 months left on the lease so it was not an easy choice. We only received word from them one time in 4 years. Now they are trying to get money. They are double charging us $1500 for no notice fees? Should I get a lawyer? What kind of lawyer should I look for?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Steven Roger Rensch


    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . There are some of us who represent tenants. But you need a consultation because there are some important questions to answer. For instance, what kind of notice did you give when you left? What justification does the landlord have for such a delay? Can you pay a lawyer an amount equal perhaps to 1/2 or 2/3 of what you're seeking on the understanding that, if you win, you will get your fees back? Is it better to go to small claims without a lawyer? The best result may be to settle with the landlord, and having a lawyer would help with that.

  2. C. Andrew Campbell

    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . You would need an attorney that does landlord/tenant work and is familiar with litigating these claims. There are a number of issues raised by the other answer that are valid and would need to be addressed to determine what results you might be able to obtain. Good luck.

    This information is provided for general informational purposes and is not intended as legal advice. An attorney... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,671 answers this week

3,339 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,671 answers this week

3,339 attorneys answering