I received a summons and complaint for a broken lease from almost 5 yrs ago.The amount is over $3400. Will a lawyer help me?

Asked about 1 year ago - Peoria, AZ

The apt was infested with bugs. The apts continued to spray and bombed but the problem persisted. They blamed us. Our kids were getting sick so we left. Only 4 months left on the lease so it was not an easy choice. We only received word from them one time in 4 years. Now they are trying to get money. They are double charging us $1500 for no notice fees? Should I get a lawyer? What kind of lawyer should I look for?

1. Steven Roger Rensch

Pro

Answered . There are some of us who represent tenants. But you need a consultation because there are some important questions to answer. For instance, what kind of notice did you give when you left? What justification does the landlord have for such a delay? Can you pay a lawyer an amount equal perhaps to 1/2 or 2/3 of what you're seeking on the understanding that, if you win, you will get your fees back? Is it better to go to small claims without a lawyer? The best result may be to settle with the landlord, and having a lawyer would help with that.

2. C. Andrew Campbell

Answered . You would need an attorney that does landlord/tenant work and is familiar with litigating these claims. There are a number of issues raised by the other answer that are valid and would need to be addressed to determine what results you might be able to obtain. Good luck.