I received a speeding ticket going 13 mph over the speed limit in Clarence, NY. Should I hire an attorney?

Asked over 1 year ago - Williamsville, NY

I only had my license for 2 months and I was going 53 in a 40 zone on a local highway in Clarence, NY. The officer advised me to plead not guilty to the ticket and go to court to get it reduced to a non-moving violation. My worry is that if it does not get reduced, I'll get my license suspended and I need to drive to work, school, etc. What's the probability that I can get it reduced on my own versus hiring a lawyer? Would paying the extensive legal fees to hire a lawyer be worth it?

1. Geffrey Matthew Walter Gismondi

9

Answered . I agree. The town prosecutor will certainly be fair to you if you handle it yourself, but you have the potential of getting a better result with the help of an attorney, and it most likely could be arranged so that you do not have to go to a court appearance. The legal fees for a speeding ticket are pretty reasonable around here.

2. Eric Edward Rothstein

7

Answered . I think hiring a local attorney who appears on these cases regularly is always a good idea. I don't know what you mean by extensive legal fees but shop around; you should be able to find someone reasonably priced.

3. Joseph A Lo Piccolo

4

Answered . Definitely. Look for a local attorney in the general area.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
    Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

4. Frank Mascagni III

4

Answered . You need to hire a criminal defense attorney to represent you. He/she will know the practices and offers made on similar charges and what options are available to you.

5. Michael J Palumbo

Pro

2

Answered . If you retain our office we go to court for you and give you a money back guarantee.