Skip to main content

I received a speeding ticket going 13 mph over the speed limit in Clarence, NY. Should I hire an attorney?

Williamsville, NY |

I only had my license for 2 months and I was going 53 in a 40 zone on a local highway in Clarence, NY. The officer advised me to plead not guilty to the ticket and go to court to get it reduced to a non-moving violation. My worry is that if it does not get reduced, I'll get my license suspended and I need to drive to work, school, etc. What's the probability that I can get it reduced on my own versus hiring a lawyer? Would paying the extensive legal fees to hire a lawyer be worth it?

Attorney Answers 5

  1. I think hiring a local attorney who appears on these cases regularly is always a good idea. I don't know what you mean by extensive legal fees but shop around; you should be able to find someone reasonably priced.

    I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

  2. I agree. The town prosecutor will certainly be fair to you if you handle it yourself, but you have the potential of getting a better result with the help of an attorney, and it most likely could be arranged so that you do not have to go to a court appearance. The legal fees for a speeding ticket are pretty reasonable around here.

  3. Definitely. Look for a local attorney in the general area.

    Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)

    I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.

  4. You need to hire a criminal defense attorney to represent you. He/she will know the practices and offers made on similar charges and what options are available to you.

    I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..

  5. If you retain our office we go to court for you and give you a money back guarantee.

Traffic tickets topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics