I received a personal injury settlement and am considering filing for bankruptcy because my debts are just too high.

Asked 7 months ago - San Diego, CA

In California, if I file for Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 would my creditors be entitled to money from a personal injury settlement? My settlement is not taxable but I do not need the money for ongoing treatment due to my injury. How would this work? Thank you in advance.

My settlement was for pain and suffering.

1. Shaye Larkin

31

Answered . I agree with Stuart. There are personal injury exemptions that can be used, but a full analysis of your situation needs to be made to determine what amounts can be protected and whether it is better for you to file a Chapter 7 or a Chapter 13 bankruptcy. Such analysis is beyond the scope of this forum.

2. Stuart Gregory Steingraber

27

Answered . Personal injury proceeds may be fully or partially exempted. More information is needed to give you useful advice.

3. Michael Salanick

Pro

27

Answered . Personal injury settlements may be exempt assets DEPENDING on a variety of factors related to your actual, specific scenario.

Please Note: bankruptcy cases requiring any degree of exemption planning, however, are not the DIY (do it yourself) variety. Seek experienced bankruptcy counsel to represent you throughout the duration of your case, including the critical planning phase involved in completing your bankruptcy petition and schedules.

4. Jason Todd Studinski

24

Answered . Consult with a good bankruptcy lawyer to handle this for you. Bankruptcy is not necessarily a user friendly process and a good lawyer can help protect your assets. Good luck.

5. Christopher John Gansen

Pro

22

Answered . Could be exempt, but a BK lawyer will know best.

6. Manuel Alzamora Juarez

Pro

21

Answered . Please consult a BK attorney. Best of luck.

Pro

21

Answered . Your finances need to be evaluated in full by a local bankruptcy attorney so a game plan can be formulated.

8. C. Donald Briggs III

Pro

20

Answered . More facts would be needed to answer this question. You need to consult with an experienced bankruptcy lawyer who can evaluate this for you. There are certain exemptions for recoveries in personal injury cases. Have your lawyer advise you and give you your best options.

9. Richard D. Granvold

Pro

18

Answered . YOu might want to add how much you received and is still on hand to assist in the answers to your questions as well as do you own any real estate at all? Still all your assets may need to be known to fully answer and an attorney can easily answer when all your assets are entered into their computer..they can then determine how much or all of the availability for exempting of your asset! good luck.

10. Brent J Jensen

14

Answered . This question can be answered only by a bankruptcy attorney in your area who is fully familiar with the facts of your case. Before you file, please consult with such an attorney and tell them all the facts. Normally, settlements are exempt to the extent they are compensatory, but these are fact intensive matters, so speak with an attorney quickly.

11. Justin D Kelly

8

Answered . As the other attorneys have stated, you REALLY need to have an experienced bankruptcy attorney review all the factors (particularly exemptions) before that question can be answered.

Best of luck!

12. Gary D. Bollinger

Pro

6

Answered . Don't make any payment to medical providers until you consult a bankruptcy attorney.
    In fact, except for routine utilities and other routine bills, don't spend this money until you consult a bankruptcy attorney to avoid a preference issue.*

*The bankruptcy attorney can explain.