I received a notice to vacate via email, from my landlord,on april the 30th for may 31 st,is an email valid for a notice?

Newton, MA |

i'm in Newton MA, my landlord sent me an email as per notice to vacate, she also never gave us a statement of conditions..is the notice valid or can i continue the lease for an extra month

sorry if any mistakes, i'm not english tongue..

I would not recommend sending a Notice to Quit via e-mail, unless you are certain the person will receive it, or you can obtain a receipt. More important than the method of service is the concept of notice to the tenant. So, the fact that you received the Notice to Quit in essence makes it valid. Assuming everything else is in order, you can be evicted by a court if you are not out of the unit by June 1, 2010.

Technically, the law only requires a "written" notice of termination. But the landlord will have the burden of proving that you received the notice/email. Failure to give you a statement of conditions won't give you the right to continue the lease; but it may help you to negotiate for a little longer time to stay and prepare for your move. If your landlord files a complaint to evict you, when you go to Housing Court, you can sit down with a mediator called a Housing Specialist, who will guide you and your landlord toward an agreement.