I received a notice to attach wages, what do I do?

Providence, RI |

I was told to send and objection and appear at a hearing? I have no idea what any of it means.

1. Basically, a Notice to Attach Wages means that someone sued you, obtained a judgment against you, and now is asking the court to order your employer to deduct a portion of wages from your pay to satisfy the judgment.

If you are not, in fact, employed, then you need not concern yourself with a motion to attach wages because you would have no wages to attach.

If you are employed, and the creditor knows where you are employed, then you may wish to avoid having your employer learn of the judgment against you by contacting the creditor's attorney (name should be on the Notice and Motion to Attach Wages).

If you like, give the Collaborative a call on Monday afternoon and I will be happy to spend a few minutes explaining at no charge.

Best wishes,
    Scott J. Summer 467-7771, ext 12

Note: The above information does not constitute legal advice. Unless a written Collaborative Representation Agreement has been signed, neither LawyersCollaborative nor any of its Staff General Counsel is your legal representative.