I received a letter stating i have a probation violation. The court hearing is in 2 weeks.

Asked over 1 year ago - Pacoima, CA

It say's that i did not complete drug rehab. When i was sentenced i was given the choice of 1 year in rehab or 6 months in jail. I chose jail i did my time. I have 2 months until my prob. is up i still have some money to pay. But in my typed court issued case summary. There is nothing that states i had to go to rehabilitation. So, on my court date. Do i need to go with a lawyer and documents to keep from being arrested at the court house?????

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Sarkis Jacob Babachanian

    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . It's a good idea to go with a lawyer who will be experienced at clearing up what seems to be an error. It shouldn't cost you too much to have a lawyer do a little post-conviction hand-holding at court that day so that you minimize the chance of a probation violation. Which court house - San Fernando, Van Nuys, somewhere else? I'm very experienced in probation violation cases; feel free to call me at 818-500-0678 or any other local Avvo attorney experienced in criminal defense and probation violation matters.

    The information I provide is as a public courtesy only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.... more
  2. Seth Andrew Weinstein

    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . You should definitely hire an attorney for this action. It sounds like based on where you live, you are going to San Fernando Court. Your attorney can explain this to the Judge so you are not returned to custody. Give me a call if you would like to discuss your options.

    Seth Weinstein, Esq.
    Los Angeles Criminal Defense Attorney
    (310) 707-7131

    This reply should NOT be considered a legal opinion of your case / inquiry. At this time I do not have sufficient... more
  3. Nicholas Maurice Rosenberg

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . The best advice is get a printout of your docket which will include your exact sentence and go talk to some attorneys in the valley about representing you - probation violations can result in a no bail hold and you should take it seriously even if you think it is erroneous. wwww.losangelesdefenders.com
    cell 818-404-3363

  4. Brian Russell Michaels


    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . The answer to this is pretty simple. If you have a court appearance and fear going to jail, why wouldn't you retain an attorney to go with you?

    Brian Michaels
    Los Angeles County Criminal Defense

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,067 answers this week

3,016 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,067 answers this week

3,016 attorneys answering