I received a letter stating i have a probation violation. The court hearing is in 2 weeks.

Pacoima, CA |

It say's that i did not complete drug rehab. When i was sentenced i was given the choice of 1 year in rehab or 6 months in jail. I chose jail i did my time. I have 2 months until my prob. is up i still have some money to pay. But in my typed court issued case summary. There is nothing that states i had to go to rehabilitation. So, on my court date. Do i need to go with a lawyer and documents to keep from being arrested at the court house?????

It's a good idea to go with a lawyer who will be experienced at clearing up what seems to be an error. It shouldn't cost you too much to have a lawyer do a little post-conviction hand-holding at court that day so that you minimize the chance of a probation violation. Which court house - San Fernando, Van Nuys, somewhere else? I'm very experienced in probation violation cases; feel free to call me at 818-500-0678 or any other local Avvo attorney experienced in criminal defense and probation violation matters.

The information I provide is as a public courtesy only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Only a formal written agreement between us will establish an attorney-client relationship. In criminal cases, speak with nobody except privately with an attorney about your case facts. In personal injury cases, all cases are governed by statutes of limitation which create deadlines to bring your case, and if you miss the deadline(s) you risk forever losing your rights.

You should definitely hire an attorney for this action. It sounds like based on where you live, you are going to San Fernando Court. Your attorney can explain this to the Judge so you are not returned to custody. Give me a call if you would like to discuss your options.

Seth Weinstein, Esq.
Los Angeles Criminal Defense Attorney
(310) 707-7131
www.sethweinsteinlaw.com

This reply should NOT be considered a legal opinion of your case / inquiry. At this time I do not have sufficient factual/legal documentation to give a complete answer to your question and there may be more to the issues you raised then I have set out in my brief reply.

The best advice is get a printout of your docket which will include your exact sentence and go talk to some attorneys in the valley about representing you - probation violations can result in a no bail hold and you should take it seriously even if you think it is erroneous. wwww.losangelesdefenders.com
cell 818-404-3363

The answer to this is pretty simple. If you have a court appearance and fear going to jail, why wouldn't you retain an attorney to go with you?

Brian Michaels
Los Angeles County Criminal Defense
www.socalcrimdefense.com
3109919179