I received a letter from a child support agency in Ontario, CA stating I was past due in child support, but was never served.

San Diego, CA |

I received a letter stating that I owed a particular amount per month plus past due amount for the past 5 months from a CS case based out of San Diego but reopened in Ontario California but I was never served any documentation stating I owed a particular amount beginning on a certain date. I have not records showing an active "order" put into place for this child support. Is there anything I can do to argue it and get it dropped? The case number is through San Diego county, but the letter came from Ontario California. How is that possible? I do not believe this child to be mine as I have never known about this kid whom is now 16 and the past amount due is only for 5 months. I am not sure how to proceed but apparently I only have 30 days to respond or I will be reported to the credit agency

1. Please see my previous response. You can also have a lawyer handle it for you. There are several highly skilled lawyers on Avvo. My office handles cases in San Diego and LA as do several lawyers on Avvo. Many offer free consultations.

2. First, you will NOT get the case "dropped". But, you can check to determine how far back they can go on support, based upon when you were served with documents. You need to get an attorney to argue the issue of paternity and retroactivity for you. Good luck!

3. You need to meet with an attorney to discuss your options. If paternity is in question, there are steps you can take.

Best of luck to you.

Attorney Rebekah Ryan Main

If you found this answer helpful, let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button at the bottom of this answer or select it as Best Answer. It’s easy and appreciated.

This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice, does not create an attorney/client relationship and does not create a right to continuing email exchanges. We can be visited on the web at www.Main-Law.com or call 909-891-0906.

This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice, does not create an attorney/client relationship and does not create a right to continuing email exchanges.

Child support topics