Skip to main content

I received a letter from a child support agency in Ontario, CA stating I was past due in child support, but was never served.

San Diego, CA |

I received a letter stating that I owed a particular amount per month plus past due amount for the past 5 months from a CS case based out of San Diego but reopened in Ontario California but I was never served any documentation stating I owed a particular amount beginning on a certain date. I have not records showing an active "order" put into place for this child support. Is there anything I can do to argue it and get it dropped? The case number is through San Diego county, but the letter came from Ontario California. How is that possible? I do not believe this child to be mine as I have never known about this kid whom is now 16 and the past amount due is only for 5 months. I am not sure how to proceed but apparently I only have 30 days to respond or I will be reported to the credit agency

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Call them and work it out or make a payment plan with them.

  2. If you do not believe there was ever a formal order, you may want to get a copy of the file from the San Diego court case, but you will want to contact DCSS in Ontario and speak with them immediately. It is important to keep in communication with DCSS when trying to sort things out.

    Also, you may want to speak with a local attorney to determine what your choices would be, because someone is claiming that this is your child. Without specifics on the details of your case, you may or may not have any recourse against this.

    Phong H. Han
    Eaton & Associates
    707 18th Street
    Bakersfield, CA 93301
    (661) 323-7017

    This answer does not create an attorney/client relationship and is not to be construed as advice for a specific issue. The answer given is a general response to general areas of law that may or may not apply to your case. To have a more specific answer to your set of facts, it is always recommended that you speak to an attorney in your area.

  3. Get an attorney to assist you with this. You very well may not have been served. However, I suspect that you were served by publication in a newspaper.

Child support topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics