Skip to main content

I received a letter for a slip and fall from a non renter. I do not have liability coverage and wonder what my next step should

Brooksville, FL |

The person claims to have fallen down slippery stairs.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. You need to hire a civil defense attorney to respond to the letter and protect your interests.

    Daniel M. Berman This is not to be considered legal advice nor does an attorney-client relationship exist.

  2. I agree with the previous answer. If you do not have insurance, then they might be coming after you personally. You need to have a civil defense attorney. There are some great attorneys in the Avvo community. You should try searching for one in your area to protect your interests. Good luck to you!

    This was not intended to constitute legal advice. This does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like a free consultation, call 407-831-8522 or visit The Sunner Law Firm at

  3. I agree with the two other attorneys. To be safe you will want to find and hire a civil defense attorney.

    If you choose not to hire a civil defense attorney and decide to defend yourself (which I in no way recommend) make sure that you thoroughly read any documents you receive from the plaintiff.

    If suit is filed against you, make sure that you comply with all of the deadlines. Failure to do so may result in a default judgment against you. Typically the clerk in your county will be able to give you valuable advice. good luck

  4. Your next step should be to consult with an independent insurance agent and obtain general liability insurance to cover you for claims for slip and falls and other hazards which may be on your rental property.

    Next, I suggest that you retain a civil defense attorney to review the letter and the circumstances of this fall and perhaps write a responsive letter to the claimant, advising of the lack of insurance.

    Legal Disclaimer:

    If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

    Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

Real estate topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics