I received a jury summons could not believe the invasive questions asked, it illegal not to answer any questions?

Madras, OR |
Filed under: Litigation

Do we not have the right to privacy especially if we've never been convicted of a crime? or even arrested?

cased closed I wrote the courts and said I felt it was no ones business my personal life and they would not answer those questions to me as their life is not my business.. I am very disappointed in our system to treat people like this....it is wrong to interrogate law abiding citizens like that. I was excused.

1. Yes, you have to answer. If you refuse, the judge may possibly hold you in contempt of court - or, more likely, they'll just exclude you from the jury. Note that this is a duplicate thread - this question was already asked and answered here: http://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/i-received-a-jury-summons-could-not-believe-the-in-1114960.html

Please read the following notice: <br> <br> Jay Bodzin is licensed to practice law in the State of Oregon and the Federal District of Oregon, and cannot give advice about the laws of other jurisdictions. All comments on this site are intended for informational purposes only, and do not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. No posts or comments on this site are in any way confidential. Each case is unique. You are advised to have counsel at all stages of any legal proceeding, and to speak with your own lawyer in private to get advice about your specific situation. <br> <br> Jay Bodzin, Northwest Law Office, 2075 SW First Avenue, Suite 2J, Portland, OR 97201 | Telephone: 503-227-0965 | Facsimile: 503-345-0926 | Email: jay@northwestlawoffice.com | Online: www.northwestlawoffice.com

2. I agree with Mr. Bodzin.

If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. This answer is for general education purposes only. It neither creates an attorney-client relationship nor provides legal guidance or advice. The answer is based on the limited information provided and the answer might be different had additional information been provided. You should consult an attorney.

3. Yes you have to answer, this is to ensure the parties place as fair and impartial a jury as possible to hear the case. If you refuse, you can be held in contempt and/or bounced off the jury pool and placed in another jury pool. It is your responsibility to participate, otherwise the system breaks down and we will lose the right to a jury of our peers to hear important criminal and civil cases! You need to do your part. If you are uncomfortable answering a personal question in front of the court staff and jury pool, the judge will usually offer to allow you to answer in chambers with all counsel present. Try this if it is too personal a question for you?

Legal disclaimer:This message does not constitute legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Any statements are made for general informational purposes and do not constitute legal advice. No attorney-client privilege is created by this communication. Attorney is licensed in California only.

4. Pursuant to 28 U.S. Code Section 1864, the questionnaire will be returned to you once with further instructions to complete and return the form. If you still refuse to complete the form, you may be summoned to appear in person and at your own expense to complete the form. If you refuse the summons, an order to show cause as to why you should not be held in contempt may be issued. Any person who fails to appear pursuant to such order or who fails to show good cause for not completing the questionnaire may be fined not more than $100.00 and/or held in jail for three (3) days. Any person who willfully makes false statements to avoid or secure service may also be fined or jailed in likewise terms.

The materials available at this web site are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Use of and access to this Web site or any of the e-mail links contained within the site do not create an attorney-client relationship between Howard Roitman, Esq. and the user or browser. The opinions expressed at or through this site are the opinions of the individual author and may not reflect the opinions of the firm or any individual attorney.

Litigation topics