I received a general discharge under honorable conditions from the Army National Guard. Can I reenlist?

Canton, OH |
Filed under: Military law

My original punishment was to complete a rehabilitation course by a certain date and I could remain enlisted. Which I did, but about a month later than I was instructed to. This led to my discharge. I was not informed that I could possibly dispute the matter. It has now been approximately 5 years since the incident. Would I be permitted to reenlist?

Difficult to say. The military is downsizing. Even the NG. So they are recruiting less, including less prior service people. Talk to the recruiter and explain the circumstances. You can also seek to upgrade the discharge and change the re code.

mljucmj@gmail.com 703-298-9562, 800-401-1583. Answering your question does not create an attorney-client relationship.

How would I go about trying to change my re code?

Philip Douglas Cave

Philip Douglas Cave

You have to apply in the same way as the discharge through the Army Review Boards Agency. Email us if you like for more information.

I will do that. Thank you for your help.

Also my discharge seemed a bit unorthodox. I was simply mailed a letter. I was never ordered to appear before anyone and I still have all of my hear and everything.

Philip Douglas Cave

Philip Douglas Cave

Even more interesting for potential follow up.

Given the downsizing of the military, I doubt it. They can be very selective about who they take. But this is a question for a recruiter, not a lawyer.

It is unlikely you can reenlist with a prior General Discharge. Filing an appeal of your discharge type with the Army Discharge Review Board may be an option in your case. Discharge upgrades are realistic and an experienced attorney can help put together a strong package.

Andrew Cherkasky of Cherkasky Law, LLC is an Illinois attorney focused on the representation of military members and veterans. The advice given does not form an attorney-client relationship. Please call anytime with questions: 703-314-6475

Military law topics