I received a failure to use turn signal while changing lanes.

Asked over 3 years ago - Syracuse, NY

Does this ticket carry any points and what is the average fine? I live in and the ticket was given in Onondaga County.

1. Matthew Jay Weiss

Answered . A New York failure to signal ticket carries 2 points and roughly $150 a fine and surcharge. If you have an otherwise clean record (no other tickets or accidents within 36 months), then a conviction to this charge will not affect your insurance. Because you are allowed up to 10 points, a conviction will also not impact on your ability to drive. Of course, you may still want to fight this ticket as in all likelihood the court in Onondaga will reduce it to a 0-point ticket. Feel free to call or email us if you have any further questions.

Matthew Weiss, Esq.

Weiss & Associates, PC

212-683-7373

mweiss@888redlight.com

Weiss & Associates, PC

212-683-7373

mweiss@888redlight.com

Since 1991, we have been making fighting all types of vehicle and traffic law matters as easy as possible. less

2. David Brian Snyder

Pro

Answered . A violation under section 1163-a of the #Vehicle and Traffic Law, for improper or unsafe turn without a signal carries a maximum fine $150 fine, with 15 days in jail, and two points on your license. There is also an $85 surcharge. I agree with attorney Weiss that we should seek counsel. I recommend that you seek local counsel was familiar with the courts in your area.

If you have a clean record, the Onondaga County District Attorney's Office may offer a reduction to a zero points nonmoving violation. In most courts, a zero points nonmoving violation will not carry a surcharge or points, so you can save yourself a little bit of money. If you plead guilty to this charge, the $235 in fines, plus the two points, could jeopardize your license if you receive another ticket, particularly in a situation where you are involved in an accident. Frequently, it is possible to have your ticket dismissed for technical reasons, which more than makes up for the cost of hiring a lawyer.

If you wish to discuss this matter further, you can find the Snyder Law Firm's conctact information in my profile (315-451-3040). Often times, the cost of hiring a lawyer in the long run will save you money, time and aggravation. If you decide to fight the ticket yourself, which I would recommend that you do if you cannot afford an attorney (call for quotes), the Dist. Atty. will have a night at each of the local courts for you to seek a disposition. Be prepared to wait though, there will frequently be over 100 people waiting to meet with the DA.

3. Stephen D Aarons

Answered . Not too many criminal defense lawyers are going to know. I would not bother with hiring a lawyer unless the points will hurt you. Sometimes the judge will give you a deferred sentence where the case gets dismissed after 6 months of good behavior. Good luck