Skip to main content

I received a check to the estate of my father, he died with no will, no estate, nothing, what do I do with the check?

Altoona, PA |
Filed under: Probate

My father passed away and was owed social security money. I filed the correct paperwork to be substitution of party for social security. The check came made out to his estate. There was no will, no estate, my father didn't even have a bank account. How do I cash or deposit the check. What should I do? Thanks

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Social Security will probably not reissue the check to you, since his estate is the proper party to be paid the money. To cash the check, you will probably need to become the administrator of his estate. Pennsylvania does have a simplified procedure for small estates, although you would probably need an attorney to do this.

This is intended as a general comment only, and not as legal advice.

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer