I received a 60 day notice, when can/will the landlord show the unit?

Lomita, CA |

Between days 35-43 of a 60 day notice, I will be out of state taking care of my elderly mother. This trip was planned & paid a long time ago, I cannot change the trip. My landlord will be anxious to show the unit. I am anal about privacy. This is a contentious situation, but that will not even remotely deter this guy. If I haven’t given my 30 day notice can he show it? If I tell the landlord that I will not move at the end of the 60 days and he will have to evict, the date of availability of the unit is unknown, or at the very least postponed until day 90 or so IF I lose. What do you recommend? I am so anal about privacy I thought about packing all my belongings & moving before the trip. But between now and the trip [day 20 to 33] I have only 4 days I could actually pack and/or move.

1. It depends. See Civil Code section 1954 which provides, in part:

(d)(1)“the landlord shall give the tenant reasonable notice in writing of his or her intent to enter and enter only during normal business hours. The notice shall include the date, approximate time, and purpose of the entry. The notice may be personally delivered to the tenant, left with someone of a suitable age and discretion at the premises, or, left on, near, or under the usual entry door of the premises in a manner in which a reasonable person would discover the notice. Twenty-four hours shall be presumed to be reasonable notice in absence of evidence to the contrary. The notice may be mailed to the tenant. Mailing of the notice at least six days prior to an intended entry is presumed reasonable notice in the absence of evidence to the contrary.
    2)If the purpose of the entry is to exhibit the dwelling unit to
    prospective or actual purchasers, the notice may be given orally, in
    person or by telephone, if the landlord or his or her agent has
    notified the tenant in writing within 120 days of the oral notice
    that the property is for sale and that the landlord or agent may
    contact the tenant orally for the purpose described above.
    Twenty-four hours is presumed reasonable notice in the absence of
    evidence to the contrary. The notice shall include the date,
    approximate time, and purpose of the entry. At the time of entry, the
    landlord or agent shall leave written evidence of the entry inside
    the unit.”

SINCE 1974. My answers are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers assume California law. I am licensed in California, only. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice and counsel must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice and counsel during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice or counsel in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for advice and counsel. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

2. The landlord is allowed to show the unit to prospective tenants during business hours upon posting a 24-hour notice of his/her intent to do so. Of course, he/she can agree on his own to restrict the visits to only certain day or certain hours, but he/she has no legal obligation to do so.

The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should be construed, as legal advice for a particular case. This Avvo.com posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, please consult with a local attorney.

3. All the landlord has to do is give reasonable notice in writing and 24 hours is generally considered reasonable notice.

Landlord-tenant law topics