Skip to main content

I received a "Notice of Entry of Judgment" for a divorce, what does it mean?

Mcminnville, OR |
Filed under: Divorce Judgment lien

The Notice of Entry paper just says that a general judgment has been entered in the court register on March 9, 2012. It also states that "this judgment does not create a judgment lien." What is the general judgment, or how can I find out?

Attorney Answers 3


I'm not licensed in Oregon, but receiving a Notice of Entry of Judgment probably means that you just got divorced. Surely you should have known that this was going on, or signed something waiving your right to be served?

Hope this helps. If you think this post was helpful, please check the asnwer was a good answer tab below. Thanks. Mr. Geffen is licensed to practice law throughout the state of Texas with an office in Dallas. He is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States and is licensed to practice in US Tax Court as well as The Court of Claims. This answer is provided as a public service and as a general response to a general question, it is not meant, and should not be relied upon as specific legal advice, nor does it create an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree




Yes, I knew this was going on as I am the one that filed the paperwork. However, I am not clear on what this paper means. I thought I would receive some kind of court document signed by the judge stating that the divorce was final.

Arthur Harold Geffen

Arthur Harold Geffen


You probably ought to go down to the courthouse and look in the file and see what the judge did.


I strongly urge you to contact the court immediately to obtain a copy of the judgment or, preferably, have an attorney obtain a copy for you and advise you of its content and effects. Apparently this judgment was obtained by default. If you find something objectionable in the judgment, you may still have time to set aside the default. You may also be able to challenge jurisdiction, particularly if you believe you were not properly served with the original dissolution petition.

This comment is general in nature and is not intended as legal advice. It does not create an attorney client relationship and obviously is not confidential. You should contact an attorney in your area who can review with you all of the relevant facts and give you specific legal advice.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


The previous poster is correct, it sounds like you got divorced. Basically, the divorce paperwork was approved by the court and they sent you a notice letting you know about the judgment. Hopefully, you signed a waiver of notice/appearance, or you did in fact receive notice prior to this. If you didn't, you need to get a copy of the judgment and determine whether or not you agree with the terms of the divorce. If you don't, you'll need to hire a lawyer to help you reopen the case.

My responses to posts on AVVO are not legal advice, nor do they create an attorney-client relationship. In order to provide true (and reliable) legal advice, an attorney must be able to ask questions of the person seeking legal advice and to thus gather the appropriate information. In order for an attorney-client relationship to exist, you and I both have to agree the the terms of such an agreement.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Divorce topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics