I received a "Notice of Entry of Judgment" for a divorce, what does it mean?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Mcminnville, OR

The Notice of Entry paper just says that a general judgment has been entered in the court register on March 9, 2012. It also states that "this judgment does not create a judgment lien." What is the general judgment, or how can I find out?

1. J Christopher Minor

4

Answered . I strongly urge you to contact the court immediately to obtain a copy of the judgment or, preferably, have an attorney obtain a copy for you and advise you of its content and effects. Apparently this judgment was obtained by default. If you find something objectionable in the judgment, you may still have time to set aside the default. You may also be able to challenge jurisdiction, particularly if you believe you were not properly served with the original dissolution petition.

2. Miranda Shanell Summer

2

Answered . The previous poster is correct, it sounds like you got divorced. Basically, the divorce paperwork was approved by the court and they sent you a notice letting you know about the judgment. Hopefully, you signed a waiver of notice/appearance, or you did in fact receive notice prior to this. If you didn't, you need to get a copy of the judgment and determine whether or not you agree with the terms of the divorce. If you don't, you'll need to hire a lawyer to help you reopen the case.

3. Arthur Harold Geffen

Pro

3

Answered . I'm not licensed in Oregon, but receiving a Notice of Entry of Judgment probably means that you just got divorced. Surely you should have known that this was going on, or signed something waiving your right to be served?